The internationalization process at PPGLEV has been carried out through collaborative projects with the aim of consolidating long-term and establishing new partnerships. The existing cooperation agreements pave the way for activities such as:
a) membership in various international research groups;
b) participation in international academic events;
c) publication of papers and book chapters in international sources;
d) short and medium-term visits of professors-researchers in foreign intitutions to carry out research, present papers at conferences, and teach courses;
e) “sandwich” PhD carried out in institutions abroad;
f) hosting foreign institutions’ professors to develop research, present papers at conferences, and teach courses;
g) hosting graduate students from foreign institutions to carry out their research in Brazil.
In 2018, PPGLEV established partnerships with other UFRJ postgraduate programs in order to participate in the design of the proposal submitted by the university as Institutional Program of Internationalization to CAPES-PrInt. It did so with the project “Voices and writings in the different spaces of the Portuguese language”, which promotes and integrates the internationalization of its three areas of concentration.
The project, to be developed during a four-year period (2019-2022), received positive reactions from partners abroad. In its first phase of development, it attracted 28 researchers from nine institutions abroad: University of Salamanca, University of Lisbon, University of Paris Saclay, University of Santiago de Compostela, University of Berlin, University of Sorbonne, State University of New York (Stone Brook), University of Buenos Aires and University of Coimbra.
PPGLEV is a postgraduate program with a rare composition: approximately half of its members integrate the disciplinary area of Portuguese Language, whereas the other half is equally distributed in the areas of Brazilian Literature and Portuguese and African Literatures. PPGLEV members have experience in collaborative work as they have maintained constant dialogue with foreign colleagues; therefore, they have the required skills and competencies to conclude the project with great success.
Both professors and students from PPGLEV will develop the following activities:
1) Four visits abroad (two in 2019 and two in 2021), with the purpose of strengthening the contact with research groups in foreign institutions and to organize their participation in publications and scienfic events related to the project.
2) Publication of four special issues, in English, of one of five in-house journals: Diadorim – Revista de Estudos Linguísticos e Literários (2019, 2020, 2021 and 2022), including papers resulting from the cooperation activities.
3) Organization of two international conferences in 2020 and 2022 at the Faculty of Letters at UFRJ, with researchers from Brazil and international participants.
4) Filming and editing (with subtitles in English) of two summer short-courses (2019 and 2020), offered by professors of the three areas of concentration; the recordings will be available at this website.
5) Annual call for awarding two scholarships to PPGLEV students interested in carrying out part of their PhDs abroad.
6) Call for awarding two junior visiting professor scholarships (2019 and 2021) to PPGLEV professors to develop studies abroad.
7) Call for awarding two senior visiting professor scholarships (2020 and 2022) to PPGLEV professors to develop studies abroad.
8) Call for awarding two visiting professor scholarships (2019 and 2021) for foreign visiting professors in Brazil.